evil eye(redirected from "buri nazar")
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A look or stare believed to cause injury or misfortune to others.
2. The presumed power to cause injury or misfortune to others by magic or supernatural means.
1. (Alternative Belief Systems) a look or glance superstitiously supposed to have the power of inflicting harm or injury
2. (Alternative Belief Systems) the power to inflict harm, etc, by such a look
1. a look thought capable of inflicting injury or bad luck on someone.
2. the power, superstitiously attributed to certain persons, of such a look.
Also known as overlooking or fascinating this is a worldwide belief in the ability of some people (especially witches) and animals to bring about harm by looking at someone.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||evil eye - a look that is believed to have the power of inflicting harm|