atman(redirected from Ãtmãn)
Also found in: Medical.
1. The individual soul or essence.
2. Atman The essence that is eternal, unchanging, and indistinguishable from the essence of the universe.
[Sanskrit ātmā, ātman-, breath, spirit.]
1. (Hinduism) the personal soul or self; the thinking principle as manifested in consciousness
2. (Hinduism) Brahman considered as the Universal Soul, the great Self or Person that dwells in the entire created order
[from Sanskrit ātman breath; compare Old High German ātum breath]
1. the individual self, known after enlightenment to be identical with Brahman.
2. (cap.) the world soul, from which all individual souls derive and to which they return.
[1775–85; < Skt ātman breath, self]
1. The essence or principle of life; reality in individual forms.
2. The divine cosmic principle of the monad.