burg(redirected from -burg)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Informal A city or town: "There are no more opportunities for you in this burg" (Damon Runyon).
2. A fortified or walled town in early or medieval Europe.
1. (Historical Terms) history a fortified town
2. informal US a town or city
[C18 (in the sense: fortress): from Old High German burg fortified town; see borough]
1. Informal. a small, quiet city or town.
2. a fortified town.
[1745–55; variant of burgh]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||burg - colloquial American term for a town; "I've lived in this burg all my life"|
town - an urban area with a fixed boundary that is smaller than a city; "they drive through town on their way to work"