Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Colored: polychrome.
2. Color; pigment: urochrome.
[From Greek khrōma, color.]
adj combining form, n combining form
colour, coloured, or pigment: monochrome.
[from Greek khrōma colour]
n., v. chromed, chrom•ing. n.
1. (not in technical use) chromium (def. 1).
2. chromium-plated or other bright metallic trim, as on an automobile.
3. (in dyeing) the dichromate of potassium or sodium.v.t.
4. to plate, dye, or treat with a compound of chromium.
[< French (1797): chromium < Greek chrôma color; so called from the brightly colored compounds in which it was found]
a combining form meaning “pigment”: lipochrome; phytochrome.
[< Greek chrôma color]