Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Marriage: exogamy.
2. Procreative or propagative union: allogamy.
3. The possession of a specified manner of fertilization or specified reproductive organs: apogamy.
n combining form
denoting marriage or sexual union: bigamy.
[from Greek -gamia, from gamos marriage]
or gam•ey(ˈgeɪ mi)
adj. gam•i•er, gam•i•est.
1. having the tangy flavor of game, esp. game kept uncooked until slightly tainted: the gamy taste of venison.
2. malodorous; smelly.
3. plucky; spirited.
4. lewd or suggestive; risqué.
5. gross or squalid; unwholesome.
a combining form with the meanings “marriage” ( exogamy), “union” ( syngamy), “fertilization” ( autogamy) of the kind specified by the initial element; also forming nouns corresponding to adjectives ending in -gamous (heterogamy).
[< Greek -gamia act of marrying]