Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Producing; generating: dysgenic.
2. Produced or generated by: cryptogenic.
3. Suitable for production or reproduction by a specified medium: photogenic.
adj combining form
1. relating to production or generation: carcinogenic.
2. well suited to or suitable for: photogenic.
[from -gen + -ic]
of, pertaining to, resembling, or arising from a gene or genes.
a combining form often corresponding to nouns ending in -gen or -geny, with the following senses: “producing or causing” (hallucinogenic); “originating or developing in” (neurogenic); “pertaining to a gene or genes” (polygenic); “pertaining to suitability for reproduction by a medium” (telegenic).Compare -genous.