1. Action; process: appeasement.
2. Result of an action or process: advancement.
3. Means, instrument, or agent of an action or process: adornment.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin -mentum, n. suff.]
suffix forming nouns
1. indicating state, condition, or quality: enjoyment.
2. indicating the result or product of an action: embankment.
3. indicating process or action: management.
[from French, from Latin -mentum]
a suffix of nouns that denote an action or resulting state (abridgment; refreshment), a product (fragment), or means (ornament).
[< French < Latin -mentum, suffix forming nouns, usually from verbs]