Aberdeen(redirected from Aberdeen City)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A city of northeast Scotland on the North Sea at the mouth of the Dee River. It is known as "the Granite City" because stone from local quarries is used in many of its buildings.
2. A city of northwest South Dakota. It was founded as a railroad stop in 1881.
1. (Placename) a city in NE Scotland, on the North Sea: centre for processing North Sea oil and gas; university (1494). Pop: 184 788 (2001)
2. (Placename) City of Aberdeen a council area in NE Scotland, established in 1996. Pop: 206 600 (2003 est). Area: 186 sq km (72 sq miles)
(Biography) George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of. 1784–1860, British statesman. He was foreign secretary under Wellington (1828) and Peel (1841–46); became prime minister of a coalition ministry in 1852 but was compelled to resign after mismanagement of the Crimean War (1855)
1. Also called Ab`er•deen′shire (-ʃɪər, -ʃər) a historic county in NE Scotland.
2. a seaport in NE Scotland, on the North Sea: administrative center of the Grampian region. 219,100.
Ab`er•do′ni•an (-ˈdoʊ ni ən) adj., n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Aberdeen - a town in western Washington|
|2.||Aberdeen - a town in northeastern South Dakota|
|3.||Aberdeen - a town in northeastern Maryland|
|4.||Aberdeen - a city in northeastern Scotland on the North Sea|
Scotland - one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; located on the northern part of the island of Great Britain; famous for bagpipes and plaids and kilts