Abydos(redirected from Abidos)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Abidos: Abydos
1. An ancient town of Asia Minor on the Hellespont in modern-day Turkey. It is the legendary home of Leander, who swam nightly across the strait to his lover Hero.
2. An ancient city of southern Egypt on the Nile River northwest of Thebes. One of the oldest Egyptian cities, it was a religious center for the worship of Osiris and a burial site for the kings of the earliest dynasties.
1. (Placename) an ancient town in central Egypt: site of many temples and tombs
2. (Placename) an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles (Hellespont): scene of the legend of Hero and Leander
1. an ancient ruined city in central Egypt, near Thebes: temples and necropolis.
2. an ancient town in NW Asia Minor, at the narrowest part of the Hellespont.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Abydos - an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles; scene of the legend of Hero and Leander|