melanism(redirected from Abundism)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. See melanosis.
2. Dark coloration of the skin, hair, fur, or feathers because of a high concentration of melanin.
1. (Zoology) the condition in man and animals of having dark-coloured or black skin, feathers, etc. Industrial melanism is the occurrence of dark varieties of animals, esp moths, in smoke-blackened industrial regions, in which they are well camouflaged
2. (Pathology) another name for melanosis
mel•a•nism(ˈmɛl əˌnɪz əm)
1. dark pigmentation, as of the skin, hair, or fur, due to a high concentration of melanin granules.
2. an unusually high concentration of melanin in the skin, plumage, or pelage of an animal.
Dark coloration of the skin, hair, fur or feathers because of a high concentration of melanin.
a darkening caused by an unusually high amount of pigmentation in the skin, hair, and eyes.See also: Blackening and Blackness
a darkening of the skin caused by an unusually high amount of pigmentation.See also: Skin
darkness or blackness of eyes, hair, or complexion.See also: Complexion