acetal(redirected from Acetals)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Acetals: Hemiketal
1. A colorless, flammable, volatile liquid, C6H14O2, used in perfumes and as a solvent.
2. Any of the class of compounds formed by combination of an aldehyde with two equivalent weights of alcohol.
1. (Elements & Compounds) 1,1-diethoxyethane; a colourless volatile liquid used as a solvent and in perfumes. Formula: CH3CH(OC2H5)2
2. (Elements & Compounds) any organic compound containing the group -CH(OR1)OR2, where R1 and R2 are other organic groups
[C19: from German Azetal, from aceto- + alcohol]
1. a colorless liquid, C6H14O2, used chiefly as a solvent and in making perfume.
2. any of a class of compounds of aldehydes with alcohols.