Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Aden: Adem
1. A former British colony and protectorate of southern Arabia, part of South Yemen (now Yemen) since 1967.
2. A city of southern Yemen on a peninsula projecting into the Gulf of Aden. One of the chief ports of southern Arabia since ancient times, it became a major trading and refueling station after the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869. Aden was the capital of South Yemen from 1967 until 1990.
1. (Placename) the main port and commercial capital of Yemen, on the N coast of the Gulf of Aden, an arm of the Indian Ocean at the entrance to the Red Sea: capital of South Yemen until 1990: formerly an important port of call on shipping routes to the East. Pop: 584 000 (2005 est)
2. (Placename) a former British colony and protectorate on the S coast of the Arabian Peninsula: became part of South Yemen in 1967, now part of Yemen. Area: 195 sq km (75 sq miles)
A•den(ˈɑd n, ˈeɪd n)
1. the economic capital of the Republic of Yemen, a seaport on the Gulf of Aden. 318,000.
2. a former British colony and protectorate on the Gulf of Aden, in SW Arabia: became People's Democratic Republic of Yemen in 1967; since 1990 part of the Republic of Yemen.
3. Gulf of, an arm of the Arabian Sea between the E tip of Africa and the S coast of Arabia.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Aden - an important port of Yemen; located on the Gulf of Aden; its strategic location has made it a major trading center of southern Arabia since ancient times|