adobe(redirected from Adobe Creative Suite)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A building material consisting of clay mixed with straw or dung, fashioned into sun-dried bricks or used as mortar or plaster.
b. A brick of this material.
c. The clay or soil used in making this material.
2. A structure built with adobe bricks.
[Spanish, from Arabic aṭ-ṭūba, the brick : al-, the + ṭūba, a brick, singulative of ṭūb, bricks (from Coptic tōbe, tōōbe, from Egyptian ḏbt, brick).]
a. a sun-dried brick used for building
b. (as modifier): an adobe house.
2. (Building) a building constructed of such bricks
3. (Building) the clayey material from which such bricks are made
[C19: from Spanish]
n., pl. -bes for 3.
1. sun-dried brick made of clay and straw.
2. a yellow silt or clay, deposited by rivers, used to make bricks.
3. a building constructed of adobe bricks.
4. a dark, heavy soil, containing clay.
[1750–60; Amer.; < Sp < Arabic al-ṭub the brick < Coptic to:o:be brick, ultimately < Egyptian ḏbt]
A Spanish word for a sun-dried brick, common in ancient cultures and especially in arid lands. Particularly associated with the house building of the Pueblo Indians in the southwest USA and Mexico.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adobe - the clay from which adobe bricks are made|
clay - a very fine-grained soil that is plastic when moist but hard when fired
|2.||adobe - sun-dried brick; used in hot dry climates|
brick - rectangular block of clay baked by the sun or in a kiln; used as a building or paving material
adobe - the clay from which adobe bricks are made