Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Adonis: Narcissus, Adonis Complex
1. Greek Mythology A strikingly beautiful youth loved by Aphrodite, who transformed the drops of his blood into anemones after he was killed by a boar.
2. often adonis A handsome young man.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a handsome youth loved by Aphrodite. Killed by a wild boar, he was believed to spend part of the year in the underworld and part on earth, symbolizing the vegetative cycle
2. a handsome young man
[C16: from Latin, via Greek Adōnis from Phoenician adōni my lord, a title of the god Tammuz; related to Hebrew Adonai]
A•don•is(əˈdɒn ɪs, əˈdoʊ nɪs)
1. a youth of Greek myth, slain by a wild boar, but brought back to life by Zeus and permitted to divide his time every year between Persephone and Aphrodite.
2. a very handsome young man.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adonis - any handsome young man|
|2.||Adonis - annual or perennial herbs |
magnoliid dicot genus - genus of dicotyledonous flowering plants regarded as among the most primitive of extant angiosperms
|3.||Adonis - (Greek mythology) a handsome youth loved by both Aphrodite and Persephone; "when Adonis died Zeus decreed that he should spend winters in the underworld with Persephone and spend summers with Aphrodite"|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks