ae(redirected from Aeae)
Also found in: Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
adj. Chiefly Scots
[Variant of a.]
Scot one; a single
[from Old English ān]
the internet domain name for
(Computer Science) United Arab Emirates
1. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) a digraph in Latin representing either a native diphthong, as in æquus, or a Greek αι (ai) in Latinized spellings, as in Æschylus: now usually written ae, or e in some words, such as demon
2. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) a ligature used in Old and early Middle English to represent the vowel sound of a in cat
3. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) a ligature used in modern phonetic transcription also representing the vowel sound a in cat
or AE or A.E.,
pen name of George William Russell.
1. an early English ligature representing a vowel sound like that of a in modern hat; ash.
2. a symbol used in modern phonetic alphabets to represent this sound; ash.
3. Also, ae. a digraph or ligature appearing in Latin and Latinized Greek words and represented in English words of Latin or Greek origin by ae or replaced by modern e.
at the age of; aged.
[< Latin aetātis]