afore(redirected from Afores)
adv.prep. & conj. Southern & Midland US
[Middle English, from Old English onforan : on, at; see on + foran, before (from fore; see fore).]
adv, prep, conj
an archaic or dialect word for before
1. previous to; earlier than: Call me before noon.
2. in front or ahead of: She stood before the window.
3. awaiting: The golden age is before us.
4. in preference to; rather than: They would die before surrendering.
5. in precedence of, as in order or rank: We put freedom before wealth.
6. in the presence or sight of: to appear before an audience.
7. under the consideration or jurisdiction of: summoned before a magistrate.
8. in the face of: Before such wild accusations, he was speechless.
9. in the regard of: a crime before God and humanity.adv.
10. in time preceding; previously: We've met before.
11. earlier or sooner.
12. in front; in advance; ahead.conj.
13. previous to the time when: See me before you go.
14. sooner than; rather than: I will die before I submit.