lynx(redirected from African lynxes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to African lynxes: Eurasian Lynx
n. pl. lynx or lynx·es
1. Any of several wildcats of the genus Lynx, especially L. canadensis of northern North America or L. lynx of Eurasia, having soft thick fur, a black-tipped short tail, and tufted ears.
2. Lynx A constellation in the Northern Hemisphere, near Auriga and Gemini.
n, pl lynxes or lynx
1. (Animals) a feline mammal, Felis lynx (or canadensis), of Europe and North America, with grey-brown mottled fur, tufted ears, and a short tail.
2. (Textiles) the fur of this animal
3. (Animals) bay lynx another name for bobcat
4. (Animals) desert lynx another name for caracal
5. (Breeds) Also called: Polish lynx a large fancy pigeon from Poland, with spangled or laced markings
[C14: via Latin from Greek lunx; related to Old English lox, German Luchs]
n, Latin genitive Lyncis (ˈlɪnsɪs)
(Astronomy) a faint constellation in the N hemisphere lying between Ursa Major and Cancer
n., pl. lynx•es, (esp. collectively) lynx.
any of several wildcats of the genus Lynx, having long limbs, a short tail, and usu. tufted ears.
[1300–50; Middle English < Latin < Greek lýnx]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lynx - a text browser|
|2.||lynx - short-tailed wildcats with usually tufted ears; valued for their fur|
wildcat - any small or medium-sized cat resembling the domestic cat and living in the wild
genus Lynx - lynxes