Nootka(redirected from Aht Confederacy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Nootka or Noot·kas
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting Vancouver Island in British Columbia and Cape Flattery in northwest Washington.
2. The Wakashan language of the Nootka. In both senses also called Nuu-Chah-Nulth.
[Nootka nuutkaa, circling around (directions given by the Nootka as James Cook brought his ship close to shore when he reached Nootka Sound in 1778 and taken by him as the name of their people).]
npl -ka or -kas
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people living in British Columbia and Vancouver Island
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Wakashan family
Noot•ka(ˈnut kə, ˈnʊt-)
n., pl. -kas, (esp. collectively) -ka.
1. a member of an American Indian people of the W coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia.
2. the language of the Nootka.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nootka - a member of the Wakashan people living on Vancouver Island and in the Cape Flattery region of northwestern Washington|
Wakashan - a member of one of the peoples in British Columbia and Washington who speak the Wakashan language
|2.||Nootka - a Wakashan language spoken by the Nootka|