Ainu(redirected from Ainu (disambiguation))
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Ainu or Ai·nus
1. A member of an indigenous people of Japan, now inhabiting parts of Hokkaido, Sakhalin, and the Kuril Islands.
2. The language of the Ainu.
[Ainu aynu, person.]
npl -nus or -nu
1. (Peoples) a member of the aboriginal people of Japan, now mostly intermixed with Mongoloid immigrants whose skin colour is more yellowish
2. (Languages) the language of this people, sometimes tentatively associated with Altaic, still spoken in parts of Hokkaido and elsewhere
n., pl. -nus, (esp. collectively) -nu.
1. a member of a people of E Asia, who lived in recent historical times on Hokkaido, S Sakhalin, and the Kurile Islands.
2. the language of the Ainus, not closely affiliated with any other language.