Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Akkadian: Akkadian language, Akkadian civilization
1. A native or inhabitant of ancient Akkad.
2. The Semitic language of Mesopotamia. Also called Assyrian.
Akkadian(əˈkædɪən; əˈkeɪ-) or
1. (Peoples) a member of an ancient Semitic people who lived in central Mesopotamia in the third millennium bc
2. (Languages) the extinct language of this people, belonging to the E Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
(Historical Terms) of or relating to this people or their language
or Ac•ca•di•an(əˈkeɪ di ən, əˈkɑ-)
1. an extinct eastern Semitic language of Assyria and Babylonia, written in a cuneiform syllabary borrowed from Sumerian.
2. a native or inhabitant of Akkad.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the language Akkadian.
4. of or pertaining to Akkad or its inhabitants.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Akkadian - an ancient branch of the Semitic languages|
Semitic - a major branch of the Afro-Asiatic language family
Mesopotamia - the land between the Tigris and Euphrates; site of several ancient civilizations; part of what is now known as Iraq