adrenergic(redirected from Alpha adrenergic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Alpha adrenergic: Beta adrenergic
1. Activated by or capable of releasing epinephrine or a similar substance, especially in the sympathetic nervous system: adrenergic receptors.
2. Having physiological effects similar to those of epinephrine: an adrenergic amine.
(Physiology) releasing or activated by adrenaline or an adrenaline-like substance
[C20: adrenaline + Greek ergon work]
ad•ren•er•gic(ˌæd rəˈnɜr dʒɪk)
1. resembling epinephrine in physiological effect: an adrenergic drug.
2. releasing epinephrine: adrenergic neurons.
3. activated by epinephrine or a similar substance: adrenergic receptor.n.
4. a drug or other agent having an epinephrinelike effect. Compare cholinergic.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adrenergic - drug that has the effects of epinephrine|
phenylephrine - a powerful vasoconstrictor used to dilate the pupils and relieve nasal congestion
phenylpropanolamine - an adrenergic drug used in many preparations to relieve allergic reactions or respiratory infections; "drugs containing phenylpropanolamine are being recalled"
|Adj.||1.||adrenergic - relating to epinephrine (its release or action)|