combined(redirected from Alpine skiing combined)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to Alpine skiing combined: giant slalom
v. com·bined, com·bin·ing, com·bines
1. To bring into a state of unity; make united: combined the ingredients in a bowl; combined the eggs and flour.
2. To join (two or more substances) to make a single substance, such as a chemical compound; mix.
3. To have, exhibit, or involve in combination: The choreography combines artistry and athletics.
4. (kŏm′bīn′) To harvest (a grain crop) using a cutting, threshing, and cleaning machine.
1. To become united: factors that combined to produce a storm.
2. To join together for a common purpose. See Synonyms at join.
3. Chemistry To form a compound.
4. (kŏm′bīn′) To harvest a grain crop using a cutting, threshing, and cleaning machine.
1. A power-operated harvesting machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans grain.
2. An association of people or groups united for the furtherance of political or commercial interests.
3. A combination.
[Middle English combinen, from Old French combiner, from Late Latin combīnāre : Latin com-, com- + bīnī, two by two; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.]
1. united; comprising more than one part: a combined attack.
2. taken as a whole: a combined income of £50,000.
Between two or more forces or agencies of two or more allies. (When all allies or services are not involved, the participating nations and services shall be identified, e.g., combined navies.) See also joint.
adj → gemeinsam; talents, efforts → vereint; forces → vereinigt; combined with → in Kombination mit; (esp clothes, furniture) → kombiniert mit; a combined clock and wireless → eine Radiouhr; a combined radio and tape recorder → Radio nt → und Tonband nt → in einem; combined downhill (Ski) → Kombinationsabfahrt f; combined event (Sport) → Mehrkampf m; (Ski) → Kombination f; combined honours (Brit Univ) → Doppelstudium nt; combined operations (Mil) → gemeinsame Operation; combined time (Sport) → Gesamtzeit f