ambient(redirected from Ambient (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Surrounding; encircling: ambient sound; ambient air.
2. Relating to or being instrumental or electronic music that has melody, gentle rhythm, and limited harmonic development and is intended to induce a relaxed mood.
1. of or relating to the immediate surroundings: the ambient temperature was 15°C.
2. creating a relaxing atmosphere: ambient music.
(Music, other) informal ambient music
[C16: from Latin ambiēns going round, from ambīre, from ambi- + īre to go]
am•bi•ent(ˈæm bi ənt)
1. of the surrounding area or environment: the ambient temperature.
2. completely surrounding; encompassing: the ambient air.
[1590–1600; (< Middle French) < Latin ambient-, s. of ambiēns, present participle of ambīre to go around =amb- ambi- + īre to go]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||ambient - completely enveloping; "the ambient air"; "ambient sound"; "the ambient temperature"|
close - at or within a short distance in space or time or having elements near each other; "close to noon"; "how close are we to town?"; "a close formation of ships"