pulpit(redirected from Ambo (in the Russian and Greek Church))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An elevated platform, lectern, or stand used in preaching or conducting a religious service.
a. Clerics considered as a group.
b. The ministry of preaching.
3. An elevated metal guardrail extending around the bow or stern of a yacht or other small vessel.
4. An elevated platform, such as one used by harpooners in a whaling boat.
5. A bully pulpit.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin pulpitum, from Latin, wooden platform, theatrical stage, possibly back-formation from plural pulpita pulpita, platform, stage, perhaps (via Etruscan *pulputa or *pulpta), from Greek polupoda, neuter plural of polupous, trodden by many feet, having many feet (polu-, many + pous, foot); see polyp.]
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a raised platform, usually surrounded by a barrier, set up in churches as the appointed place for preaching, leading in prayer, etc
2. (Building) any similar raised structure, such as a lectern
3. a medium for expressing an opinion, such as a column in a newspaper
4. (Ecclesiastical Terms) the pulpit
a. the preaching of the Christian message
b. the clergy or their message and influence
[C14: from Latin pulpitum a platform]
pul•pit(ˈpʊl pɪt, ˈpʌl-)
1. a platform or raised structure in a church, from which the sermon is delivered or the service is conducted.
2. the pulpit, the clerical profession; ministry.
3. (in small craft)
a. a safety rail rising from the deck near the bow and extending around it.
b. a similar rail at the stern.
4. an elevated control booth in a factory.
[1300–50; Middle English < Late Latin pulpitum pulpit, Latin: platform, stage]
pulpit- From classical Latin pulpitum, "platform, stage."
See also related terms for platform.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pulpit - a platform raised above the surrounding level to give prominence to the person on it|
platform - a raised horizontal surface; "the speaker mounted the platform"
pulpit[ˈpʊlpɪt] N → púlpito m
pulpit[ˈpʊlpɪt] n → chaire f
n → Kanzel f
pulpit[ˈpʊlpɪt] n → pulpito
a raised box or platform in a church, where the priest or minister stands, especially to preach the sermon. preekstoel مِنْبَر الوَعْظ амвон púlpito kazatelna die Kanzel prædikestol άμβωνας púlpito kantsel منبر؛ میز خطابه saarnatuoli chair בִּימָת הַמֶטִיף फ्रवचन मंच szószék mimbar predikunarstóll pulpito 説教壇 설교단, 강론단 sakykla kancele mimbar preekstoelprekestolambona منبر، د خطابى ميز púlpito amvon кафедра kazateľnica prižnica propovedaonica predikstol พื้นที่ยกสูงในโบสถ์ kürsü (教堂)講道壇 кафедра منبر bục giảng kinh （教堂）布道坛