Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A custom, trait, or tradition originating in the United States.
2. A word, phrase, or idiom characteristic of English as it is spoken in the United States.
3. Allegiance to the United States and its customs and institutions.
1. a custom, linguistic usage, or other feature peculiar to or characteristic of the United States, its people, or their culture
2. loyalty to the United States, its people, customs, etc
A•mer•i•can•ism(əˈmɛr ɪ kəˌnɪz əm)
1. a custom, trait, or thing peculiar to the United States of America or its citizens.
2. a word, phrase, or other language feature peculiar to or characteristic of American English.
3. devotion to or preference for the U.S. and its institutions.
a word, phrase, or idiom peculiar to American English. Cf. Briticism, Canadianism.See also: Language
Heckerism.See also: Catholicism
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Americanism - loyalty to the United States and its institutions|
|2.||Americanism - an expression that is characteristic of English as spoken by Americans|
|3.||Americanism - a custom that is peculiar to the United States or its citizens|
Americanism[əˈmerɪkənɪzəm] N → americanismo m
(Ling) → Amerikanismus m
(= quality) → Amerikanertum nt