Turkish angora(redirected from Ankara cat)
Also found in: Medical.
A domestic cat of a slender breed developed in Turkey, which has long silky fur with no undercoat. It is often white but is bred in a wide range of colors and patterns.
(Breeds) a long-haired breed of cat, similar to the Persian
An•go•ra(æŋˈgɔr ə, -ˈgoʊr ə, æn-)
n., pl. -ras,
1. Also called Ango′ra cat′.
a. one of a breed of longhaired domestic cats with a long body and a wedge-shaped head, raised orig. in Turkey.
b. any longhaired domestic cat.
2. (often l.c.) Also called Ango′ra wool′. the hair of the Angora goat or of the Angora rabbit.
3. (often l.c.) yarn, fabric, or a garment made from this.
4. former name of Ankara.
5. Also called Ango′ra goat′. a variety of domestic goat having long, silky hair called mohair.
6. Also called Ango′ra rab′bit. one of a breed of European rabbits raised for its long, silky hair.adj.
7. (usu. l.c.) made from a yarn or fabric of Angora goat or Angora rabbit hair: an angora hat.
[1825–35; earlier form of Ankara]