bot(redirected from Annoybot)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
bot 1also bott (bŏt)
1. The parasitic larva of a botfly.
2. bots(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A disease of mammals, especially cattle and horses, caused by infestation of the stomach or intestines with botfly larvae.
[Middle English, probably of Low German origin.]
1. A software program, such as a spider, that performs automated tasks on the internet.
2. A software program that imitates the behavior of a human, as in participating in chatroom or IRC discussions.
3. Informal A robot.
[Short for robot.]
1. (Animals) the larva of a botfly, which typically develops inside the body of a horse, sheep, or human
2. (Animals) any similar larva
3. (Pathology) informal NZ a mild illness in humans
[C15: probably from Low German; related to Dutch bot, of obscure origin]
1. to scrounge or borrow
2. (often foll by: on) to scrounge (from); impose (on)
3. a scrounger
4. on the bot wanting to scrounge: he's on the bot for a cigarette.
[C20: perhaps from botfly, alluding to the creature's bite; see bite (sense 12)]
(Computer Science) computing an autonomous computer program that performs time-consuming tasks, esp on the internet
[C20: from (ro)bot]
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Board of Trade
the larva of a botfly.
[1425–75; late Middle English]
a device or piece of software that can execute commands or perform routine tasks, as electronic searches, usually without user intervention (often used in combination): intelligent infobots; shopping bots.
[1985–90; shortening of robot]
Past participle: botted