Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Greek Mythology One who sailed with Jason on the Argo in search of the Golden Fleece.
2. also argonaut A person who is engaged in a dangerous but rewarding quest; an adventurer.
[From Latin Argonautae, Argonauts, from Greek Argonautēs, Argonaut : Argō, the ship Argo + nautēs, sailor (from naus, ship; see nāu- in Indo-European roots).]
See paper nautilus.
[New Latin Argonauta, genus name, from Latin Argonautae, Argonauts; see Argonaut.]
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth one of the heroes who sailed with Jason in quest of the Golden Fleece
2. (Historical Terms) a person who took part in the Californian gold rush of 1849
3. (Animals) another name for the paper nautilus
[C16: from Greek Argonautēs, from Argō the name of Jason's ship + nautēs sailor]
Ar•go•naut(ˈɑr gəˌnɔt, -ˌnɒt)
1. a member of the band of men who sailed to Colchis with Jason in the ship Argo in search of the Golden Fleece.
2. (sometimes l.c.) a person in quest of something dangerous but rewarding; adventurer.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||argonaut - someone engaged in a dangerous but potentially rewarding adventure|
|2.||Argonaut - (Greek mythology) one of the heroes who sailed with Jason in search of the Golden Fleece|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|3.||Argonaut - cephalopod mollusk of warm seas whose females have delicate papery spiral shells|
octopod - a cephalopod with eight arms but lacking an internal shell