onager(redirected from Asian wild ass)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A wild ass (Equus hemionus) of Asia, having an erect mane, a light brown coat, and a dark stripe along the back.
2. An ancient and medieval catapult, often employing a wooden arm with a short sling.
n, pl -gri (-ˌɡraɪ) or -gers
1. (Animals) a Persian variety of the wild ass, Equus hemionus. Compare kiang
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) an ancient war engine for hurling stones
[C14: from Late Latin: military engine for stone throwing, from Latin: wild ass, from Greek onagros, from onos ass + agros field]
on•a•ger(ˈɒn ə dʒər)
n., pl. -gers, -gri (-ˌgraɪ)
1. a wild ass, Equus hemionus, of SW Asia.
2. a military catapult used in ancient and medieval times for throwing stones.
[1300–50; Middle English < Late Latin: machine for throwing projectiles, Latin wild ass < Greek ónagros (in both senses), alter. of ónos ágrios ass of the fields, wild ass (see acre)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||onager - an engine that provided medieval artillery used during sieges; a heavy war engine for hurling large stones and other missiles|
engine - an instrument or machine that is used in warfare, such as a battering ram, catapult, artillery piece, etc.; "medieval engines of war"
|2.||onager - Asiatic wild ass |
wild ass - any of several equine mammals of Asia and northeast Africa