Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to attorney general: US Attorney General
n. pl. attorneys general or attorney generals
1. The chief law officer and legal counsel of the government of a state or nation.
2. Attorney General The head of the US Department of Justice and a member of the President's cabinet.
n, pl attorneys general or attorney generals
1. (Law) a country's chief law officer and senior legal adviser to its government
2. (Law) (in the US) the chief law officer and legal adviser of a state government
3. (Law) (in some states of the US) a public prosecutor
4. (Professions) (in some states of the US) a public prosecutor
1. (Law) (in the United Kingdom except Scotland) the senior law officer and chief legal counsel of the Crown: a member of the government and of the House of Commons
2. (Law) (in the US) the chief law officer and legal adviser to the Administration: head of the Department of Justice and member of the cabinet
3. (Law) (in Australia and New Zealand) the chief government law officer: a member of Parliament and usually a cabinet minister
n., pl. attorneys general, attorney generals.
(often caps.) the chief law officer of a country or state and head of its legal department: the U.S. Attorney General is the head of the Department of Justice and a member of the president's cabinet.
The chief law officer and legal advisor of a state or nation.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||attorney general - the chief law officer of a country or state|
law, jurisprudence - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
|2.||Attorney General - the person who holds the position of secretary of the Justice Department; "Edmund Randolph was the first Attorney General, appointed by President Washington"|
secretary - a person who is head of an administrative department of government
|3.||Attorney General - the position of the head of the Justice Department and the chief law enforcement officer of the United States; "the post of Attorney General was created in 1789"|
secretaryship - the position of secretary
תובע כלליתובעת כללית