Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to Saint Augustine of Hippo or his doctrines.
2. Being or belonging to any of several religious orders following or influenced by the rule of Saint Augustine.
1. A follower of the principles and doctrines of Saint Augustine.
2. A monk or friar belonging to any of the Augustinian orders.
Au′gus·tin′i·an·ism, Au·gus′tin·ism (ô-gŭs′tĭ-nĭz′əm) n.
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Saint Augustine of Hippo, his doctrines, or any of the Christian religious orders that were founded on his doctrines
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a member of any of several religious orders, such as the Augustinian Canons, Augustinian Hermits, and Austin Friars which are governed by the rule of Saint Augustine
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a person who follows the doctrines of Saint Augustine
Au•gus•tin•i•an(ˌɔ gəˈstɪn i ən)
1. pertaining to St. Augustine of Hippo, to his doctrines, or to any religious order following his rule.n.
2. a member of any of the Roman Catholic Augustinian orders.
3. a follower of St. Augustine.
Au`gus•tin′i•an•ism, Au•gus•tin•ism (ɔˈgʌs təˌnɪz əm, əˈgʌs-) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Augustinian - a Roman Catholic friar or monk belonging to one of the Augustinian monastic orders|
Augustinian order - any of several monastic orders observing a rule derived from the writings of St. Augustine
Austin Friar - one of the Roman Catholic hermits of Saint Augustine