Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Augustinian: Augustinian Rule, Augustinian nuns, Augustinian Friars
1. Of or relating to Saint Augustine of Hippo or his doctrines.
2. Being or belonging to any of several religious orders following or influenced by the rule of Saint Augustine.
1. A follower of the principles and doctrines of Saint Augustine.
2. A monk or friar belonging to any of the Augustinian orders.
Au′gus·tin′i·an·ism, Au·gus′tin·ism (ô-gŭs′tĭ-nĭz′əm) n.
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Saint Augustine of Hippo, his doctrines, or any of the Christian religious orders that were founded on his doctrines
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a member of any of several religious orders, such as the Augustinian Canons, Augustinian Hermits, and Austin Friars which are governed by the rule of Saint Augustine
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a person who follows the doctrines of Saint Augustine
Au•gus•tin•i•an(ˌɔ gəˈstɪn i ən)
1. pertaining to St. Augustine of Hippo, to his doctrines, or to any religious order following his rule.n.
2. a member of any of the Roman Catholic Augustinian orders.
3. a follower of St. Augustine.
Au`gus•tin′i•an•ism, Au•gus•tin•ism (ɔˈgʌs təˌnɪz əm, əˈgʌs-) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Augustinian - a Roman Catholic friar or monk belonging to one of the Augustinian monastic orders|
Augustinian order - any of several monastic orders observing a rule derived from the writings of St. Augustine
Austin Friar - one of the Roman Catholic hermits of Saint Augustine