lizard(redirected from Autarchoglossa)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of numerous squamate reptiles often classified in the suborder Lacertilia, characteristically having a scaly elongated body with a tapering tail, four legs, movable eyelids, and external ear openings.
2. Leather made from the skin of one of these reptiles.
[Middle English lesarde, lisard, from Old French lesarde, from Latin lacerta, of unknown origin.]
1. (Animals) any reptile of the suborder Lacertilia (or Sauria), esp those of the family Lacertidae (Old World lizards), typically having an elongated body, four limbs, and a long tail: includes the geckos, iguanas, chameleons, monitors, and slow worms.
2. (Zoology) any reptile of the suborder Lacertilia (or Sauria), esp those of the family Lacertidae (Old World lizards), typically having an elongated body, four limbs, and a long tail: includes the geckos, iguanas, chameleons, monitors, and slow worms.
a. leather made from the skin of such an animal
b. (as modifier): a lizard handbag.
[C14: via Old French from Latin lacerta]
(Placename) the Lizard a promontory in SW England, in SW Cornwall: the southernmost point in Great Britain. Also known as: Lizard Head or the Lizard Peninsula
1. any scaly reptile of the suborder Lacertilia (Sauria), order Squamata, typically having a long body, long tail, and four legs, as the chameleon.
2. leather made from the skin of a lizard.
4. The Lizard, Lizard Head.
[1350–1400; Middle English liserd, variant of lesard(e) < Middle French lesarde < Latin lacerta]
Any of numerous reptiles having a scaly, often slender body, a tapering tail, and usually four legs. Lizards typically have movable eyelids, unlike most other reptiles. The iguana and chameleon are lizards.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lizard - relatively long-bodied reptile with usually two pairs of legs and a tapering tail|
saurian - any of various reptiles of the suborder Sauria which includes lizards; in former classifications included also the crocodiles and dinosaurs
gecko - any of various small chiefly tropical and usually nocturnal insectivorous terrestrial lizards typically with immovable eyelids; completely harmless
iguanid, iguanid lizard - lizards of the New World and Madagascar and some Pacific islands; typically having a long tail and bright throat patch in males
worm lizard - a lizard of the genus Amphisbaena; harmless wormlike limbless lizard of warm or tropical regions having concealed eyes and ears and a short blunt tail
night lizard - small secretive nocturnal lizard of southwestern North America and Cuba; bear live young
scincid, scincid lizard, skink - alert agile lizard with reduced limbs and an elongated body covered with shiny scales; more dependent on moisture than most lizards; found in tropical regions worldwide
teiid, teiid lizard - tropical New World lizard with a long tail and large rectangular scales on the belly and a long tail
anguid lizard - any of a small family of lizards widely distributed in warm areas; all are harmless and useful as destroyers of e.g. slugs and insects
legless lizard - degenerate wormlike burrowing lizard of California closely related to alligator lizards
Lanthanotus borneensis - a stout-bodied pleurodont lizard of Borneo
venomous lizard - any of two or three large heavy-bodied lizards; only known venomous lizards
chamaeleon, chameleon - lizard of Africa and Madagascar able to change skin color and having a projectile tongue
|2.||lizard - a man who idles about in the lounges of hotels and bars in search of women who would support him|
gigolo - a man who has sex with and is supported by a woman
con thằn lằn
lizard[ˈlɪzərd] n → lézard m
lizard[ˈlɪzəd] n → lucertola
any of several types of usually small, four-footed reptile. akkedis عَظّايَه، سِحْلِيَّه гущер lagarto ještěrka die Eidechse firben σαύραlagarto sisalik مارمولک؛ سوسمار lisko lézardלטאה छिपकली, गोधिका gušter gyík kadal eðla lucertola とかげ 도마뱀 driežas ķirzaka cicak hagedisfirfisle, øglejaszczurka منګور،سوسمار lagarto şopârlă ящерица jašterica kuščar gušter ödla สัตว์เลื้อยคลานพวกจิ้งจกหรือตุ๊กแก kertenkele 蜥蜴 ящірка گرگٹ یا چھپکلی con thằn lằn 蜥蜴