black-and-white(redirected from Backed with)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. Partially black and partially white: a black-and-white cow.
2. Being in writing or print: black-and-white proof.
a. Rendered in black and white or in achromatic colors: a black-and-white drawing.
b. Of or relating to the reproduction or presentation of visual images in black and white: black-and-white television; black-and-white photography.
4. Expressing, recognizing, or based on two mutually exclusive sets of ideas or values: black-and-white categories; a black-and-white point of view.
a. a photograph, picture, sketch, etc, in black, white, and shades of grey rather than in colour
b. (as modifier): black-and-white film.
2. (Colours) the neutral tones of black, white, and intermediate shades of grey. Compare colour2
3. in black and white
a. in print or writing
b. in extremes: he always saw things in black and white.
1. displaying only black and white tones; lacking color.
2. partly black and partly white: black-and-white shoes.
3. pertaining to or constituting a two-valued system, as of logic or morality; absolute: thinking in black-and-white terms.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||black-and-white - lacking hue or shades of grey; part white and part black; "a black-and-white cow"; "black-and-white blooms"; "black-and-white stripes"|
|2.||black-and-white - not having or not capable of producing colors; "black-and-white film"; "a black-and-white TV"; "the movie was in black and white"|
|3.||black-and-white - of a situation that is sharply divided into mutually exclusive categories; "he rejected a black-and-white world"; "there are no black-and-white certainties"; "there were no grey areas, you were either for him or against him, he was all black-and-white"|
divided - separated into parts or pieces; "opinions are divided"