pitcher(redirected from Baseball pitching)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Baseball pitching: Baseball pitcher
1. One that pitches.
2. Baseball The player who throws the ball from the mound to the batter.
3. Sports A seven iron used in golf.
1. A container for liquids, usually having a handle and a lip or spout for pouring.
2. Botany A pitcherlike part, such as the leaf of a pitcher plant.
[Middle English picher, from Old French pichier, alteration of bichier, from Medieval Latin bicārium, drinking cup, probably from Greek bikos, jar, possibly from Egyptian biḳ, oil vessel.]
1. a large jug, usually rounded with a narrow neck and often of earthenware, used mainly for holding water
2. (Botany) botany any of the urn-shaped leaves of the pitcher plant
[C13: from Old French pichier, from Medieval Latin picārium, variant of bicārium beaker]
1. (Baseball) baseball the player on the fielding team who pitches the ball to the batter
2. (Civil Engineering) a granite stone or sett used in paving
1. a container, usu. with a handle and spout or lip, for holding and pouring liquids.
2. a pitcherlike modification of the leaf of certain plants.
[1250–1300; Middle English picher < Old French pichier < Medieval Latin picārium, variant of bicārium beaker]
1. a person who pitches.
2. Baseball. the player who throws the ball to the opposing batter.
Molly (Mary Ludwig Hays McCauley), 1754–1832, American Revolutionary heroine.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pitcher - (baseball) the person who does the pitching; "our pitcher has a sore arm"|
baseball, baseball game - a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs; "he played baseball in high school"; "there was a baseball game on every empty lot"; "there was a desire for National League ball in the area"; "play ball!"
softball game, softball - a game closely resembling baseball that is played on a smaller diamond and with a ball that is larger and softer
left hander, left-handed pitcher, lefthander, left-hander, southpaw, lefty - a baseball pitcher who throws the ball with the left hand
screwballer - (baseball) a pitcher who throws screwballs
starting pitcher - (baseball) a pitcher who starts in a baseball game
thrower - someone who projects something (especially by a rapid motion of the arm)
|2.||pitcher - an open vessel with a handle and a spout for pouring|
vessel - an object used as a container (especially for liquids)
|3.||pitcher - the quantity contained in a pitcher|
containerful - the quantity that a container will hold
|4.||pitcher - (botany) a leaf that that is modified in such a way as to resemble a pitcher or ewer|
|5.||pitcher - the position on a baseball team of the player who throws the ball for a batter to try to hit; "he has played every position except pitcher"; "they have a southpaw on the mound"|
position - (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player; "what position does he play?"
baseball team - a team that plays baseball
(= jug) → cruche f
(BASEBALL) → lanceur/euse m/f
a large jug. a pitcher of water. beker إبْريق кана cântaro džbán der Krug kande; -kande κανάταcántaro, jarro, jarra kann پارچ kannu crucheכד मटका vrč za vodu kancsó guci kanna caraffa 水差し 주전자 ąsotis krūka; (liela) krūze kendi kruikkanne, mugge dzban جګ،صراحی cântaro ulcior кувшин džbán vrč bokal kanna, tillbringare, krus เหยือก testi, sürahi 大水罐 глечик پاني کا بڑا جگ bình; vò 大水罐