Bemba(redirected from Bembas)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Bemba or Bem·bas
1. A member of a people of northeast Zambia and adjacent parts of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, and Malawi.
2. The Bantu language of the Bemba. Also called Chibemba.
[Bemba -bemba, ethnic self-designation.]
npl -ba or -bas
1. (Peoples) a member of a Negroid people of Africa, living chiefly in Zambia on a high infertile plateau
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Bantu group of the Niger-Congo family
n., pl. -bas, (esp. collectively) -ba.
1. a member of an African people or group of peoples of NE Zambia and adjacent parts of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Malawi.
2. the Bantu language of the Bemba.