bipartite(redirected from Bipartite (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Having or consisting of two parts.
a. Having two corresponding parts, one for each party: a bipartite contract.
b. Having two participants; joint: a bipartite agreement.
3. Botany Divided into two portions almost to the base, as certain leaves.
[Latin bipartītus, past participle of bipartīre, to divide into two parts : bi-, two; see bi-1 + partīre, to part (from pars, part-, a share; see perə- in Indo-European roots).]
bi′par·ti′tion (-tĭsh′ən) n.
1. consisting of or having two parts
2. (Law) affecting or made by two parties; bilateral: a bipartite agreement.
3. (Botany) botany (esp of some leaves) divided into two parts almost to the base
1. divided into or consisting of two parts.
2. shared by two; joint.
3. divided into two parts nearly to the base, as certain leaves.
bi`par•ti′tion (-ˈtɪʃ ən) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||bipartite - divided into two portions almost to the base|
compound - composed of more than one part; "compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "compound flower heads"
|2.||bipartite - involving two parts or elements; "a bipartite document"; "a two-way treaty"|