carrot(redirected from Bird's-nest root)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A biennial Eurasian plant (Daucus carota subsp. sativus) in the parsley family, widely cultivated as an annual for its edible taproot.
2. The usually tapering, elongate, fleshy orange root of this plant, eaten as a vegetable.
3. Queen Anne's lace.
4. A reward offered for desired behavior; an inducement: "The U.S. should use a moratorium on SDI development as a carrot to bring an acceptable offensive arms limitation" (C. Peter Gall).
1. (Plants) an umbelliferous plant, Daucus carota sativa, with finely divided leaves and flat clusters of small white flowers. See also wild carrot
2. (Plants) the long tapering orange root of this plant, eaten as a vegetable
a. something offered as a lure or incentive
b. carrot and stick reward and punishment as methods of persuasion
[C16: from Old French carotte, from Late Latin carōta, from Greek karōton; perhaps related to Greek karē head]
1. a plant, Daucuscarota, of the parsley family, having fernlike leaves and umbels of small white flowers.
2. the orange to yellow root of this plant, eaten raw or cooked.
3. something offered as an incentive.
[1525–35; < Middle French carotte < Late Latin carōta < Greek karōtón, derivative of kárē head]
Carrota group of objects in the shape of a carrot.
Example: carrot of tobacco, 1808.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||carrot - deep orange edible root of the cultivated carrot plant|
cultivated carrot, Daucus carota sativa, carrot - perennial plant widely cultivated as an annual in many varieties for its long conical orange edible roots; temperate and tropical regions
root - (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
|2.||carrot - perennial plant widely cultivated as an annual in many varieties for its long conical orange edible roots; temperate and tropical regions|
carrot - orange root; important source of carotene
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
carrot - deep orange edible root of the cultivated carrot plant
|3.||carrot - orange root; important source of carotene|
root vegetable - any of various fleshy edible underground roots or tubers
|4.||carrot - promise of reward as in "carrot and stick"; "used the carrot of subsidized housing for the workers to get their vote";|
củ cà rốt
n → Mohrrübe f, → Karotte f, → Möhre f; (fig) → Köder m; to dangle a carrot before somebody or in front of somebody → jdm einen Köder unter die Nase halten; the stick and the carrot → Zuckerbrot und Peitsche
n → Karottenkuchen m
carrot[ˈkærət] n → carota
(a vegetable with) an edible, orange, pointed root. wortel جَزَر морков cenoura mrkev die Möhre gulerod καρότοzanahoria porgand هویج porkkana carotteגזר गाजर mrkva sárgarépa wortel gulrót carota 人参 당근 morka burkāns lobak wortelgulrotmarchew ګازړه، زردكه (كاجره) cenoura morcov морковь mrkva korenje šargarepa morot แครอท havuç 胡蘿蔔 морква گاجر củ cà rốt 胡萝卜
carrot→ جَزَر mrkev gulerod Karotte καρότο zanahoria porkkana carotte mrkva carota ニンジン 당근 wortel gulrot marchew cenoura морковь morot แครอท havuç củ cà rốt 胡萝卜