bonus(redirected from Bonusing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. bo·nus·es
1. Something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected.
a. A sum of money or an equivalent given to an employee in addition to the employee's usual compensation.
b. A sum of money in addition to salary that is given to a professional athlete for signing up with a team.
3. A subsidy from a government to an industry.
4. A sum of money paid by a government to a war veteran.
5. A premium, as of stock, that is given by a corporation to another party, such as a purchaser of its securities.
6. A sum of money that is paid by a corporation in excess of interest or royalties charged for the granting of a privilege or a loan to that corporation.
7. Basketball An additional free throw awarded to a player who has been fouled when the opposing team has committed more than a specified number of fouls during a period of play.
1. something given, paid, or received above what is due or expected: a Christmas bonus for all employees.
2. (Accounting & Book-keeping) chiefly Brit an extra dividend allotted to shareholders out of profits
3. (Insurance) insurance Brit a dividend, esp a percentage of net profits, distributed to policyholders either annually or when the policy matures
4. Brit a slang word for a bribe
5. (Games, other than specified) (in Scrabble) the playing of all seven of a player's tiles in a single turn
vb, -nuses, -nusing, -nused, -nusses, -nussing or -nussed
(Games, other than specified) (intr) (in Scrabble) to play all seven of one's tiles in a single turn
[C18: from Latin bonus (adj) good]
n., pl. -nus•es.
1. something given or paid over and above what is due.
2. a sum of money given in addition to regular pay, usu. for outstanding work.
3. a sum of money paid by a state or federal government to a veteran for war service, usu. based on length of service.
4. something extra or additional given freely.
[1765–75; < Latin: good]
syn: bonus, bounty, premium refer to a gift or an additional payment. A bonus is a gift to reward performance, paid either by an employer or by a government: a bonus based on salary; a soldier's bonus. A bounty is a public reward offered to stimulate interest in a specific purpose or undertaking and to encourage performance: a bounty for killing wolves. A premium is usu. something additional given as an inducement to buy, produce, or the like: a premium received with a magazine subscription.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bonus - anything that tends to arouse; "his approval was an added fillip"|
positive stimulus - a stimulus with desirable consequences
|2.||bonus - an additional payment (or other remuneration) to employees as a means of increasing output|
premium - a prize, bonus, or award given as an inducement to purchase products, enter competitions initiated by business interests, etc.; "they encouraged customers with a premium for loyal patronage"
incentive program, incentive scheme - a formal scheme for inducing someone (as employees) to do something
dividend - a bonus; something extra (especially a share of a surplus)
sales incentive - remuneration offered to a salesperson for exceeding some predetermined sales goal
payment - a sum of money paid or a claim discharged
1. extra, benefit, commission, prize, gift, reward, premium, dividend, hand-out, perk (Brit. informal), bounty, gratuity, honorarium, boot money (informal) a special end-of-year bonus
زِيادَةٌ غَيْرُ مُتَوَقَّعَهعِلَاوَةعَلاوَه، إِكْرامِيَّه، مُكافأَه
→ Prämie f; (for output, production also) → Zulage f; (= cost-of-living bonus) → Zuschlag m; (= Christmas bonus) → Gratifikation f; bonus scheme → Prämiensystem nt; bonus point (in game, quiz etc) → Bonuspunkt m
(Fin, on shares) → Extradividende f, → Sonderausschüttung f
(inf: = sth extra) → Zugabe f
1. an addition to the sum due as interest, dividend, or wages. bonus عَلاوَه، إِكْرامِيَّه، مُكافأَه допълнително възнаграждение bônus prémie der Bonus bonus πρόσθετη αμοιβή plus, prima boonus پاداش lisä primeמענק बोनस premija prémium tambahan uang jasa aukaarður/-greiðsla/-geta dividendo extra, bonus ボーナス 보너스 premija prēmija bonus bonusbonuspremia بخشش bónus bonus, primă премия; бонус prémie premija, dodatek bonus bonus เงินปันผลกำไร; เงินที่ได้พิเศษนอกเหนือจากเงินเดือน ikramiye, prim, kâr payı 獎金，紅利 бонус, премія انعام ، منافع lợi tức chia thêm 奖金，红利
2. something unexpected or extra. The extra two days holiday was a real bonus. bonus زِيادَةٌ غَيْرُ مُتَوَقَّعَه допълнение dádiva terno der Zusatz bonus απρόσμενο δώρο, πρόσθετη αμοιβή regalo, bendición preemia فوق العاده؛ غیرمنتظره ylimääräinen aubaineהטבה अतिरिक्त मिलने वाली कोई चीज nagrada külön juttatás ekstra happ premio 予期しない贈物 뜻밖의 선물(즐거움) dovana dāvana bonus meevallergratiale, tillegg naddatek فوق العاده ، غیرمنتظره dádiva noroc, chilipir подарок terno sreča bonus bonus สิ่งที่เพิ่มเติมเข้ามาโดยไม่ได้คาดหวัง tatlı sürpriz 意外的收獲 нагорода, бонус غیر متوقع طور پر حاصل کردہ فائدہ tiền thưởng 意外收获