buckeye(redirected from Buck Eye)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Buck Eye: buckeye butterfly
a. Any of several North American trees or shrubs of the genus Aesculus, having palmately compound leaves, erect panicles of white, yellow, or red flowers, and a leathery capsule containing one or more large seeds. All parts of the plant are poisonous.
b. The large shiny brown seed of any of these plants.
2. A nymphalid butterfly (Junonia coenia) of North America, having brownish wings with orange markings and conspicuous eyespots.
3. Buckeye A native or resident of Ohio.
(Plants) any of several North American trees of the genus Aesculus, esp A. glabra (Ohio buckeye), having erect clusters of white or red flowers and prickly fruits: family Hippocastanaceae. Also called: bugeye See also horse chestnut
n., pl. -eyes.
1. any of various trees or shrubs of the genus Aesculus, of the horse chestnut family, having gray, scaly bark and palmate leaves.
2. the brown nut of any of these trees.
3. (cap.) a native or inhabitant of Ohio (used as a nickname).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buckeye - the inedible nutlike seed of the horse chestnut|
seed - a small hard fruit
|2.||buckeye - tree having palmate leaves and large clusters of white to red flowers followed by brown shiny inedible seeds|
Aesculus, genus Aesculus - deciduous trees or some shrubs of North America; southeastern Europe; eastern Asia
sweet buckeye - a tall and often cultivated buckeye of the central United States
Ohio buckeye - a buckeye with scaly grey bark that is found in the central United States
bottlebrush buckeye, dwarf buckeye - a spreading shrub with pink flowers; found in southeastern United States
red buckeye - a shrub buckeye of southern United States
particolored buckeye - a buckeye marked by different colors or tints
|3.||Buckeye - a native or resident of Ohio|
American - a native or inhabitant of the United States