buckler(redirected from Buckler (weapon))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A small, round shield either carried or worn on the arm.
[Middle English bokeler, from Old French bouclier, from boucle, boss on a shield, from Latin buccula, diminutive of bucca, cheek.]
1. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a small round shield worn on the forearm or held by a short handle
2. a means of protection; defence
(tr) archaic to defend
[C13: from Old French bocler, from bocle shield boss; see buckle, boss2]
1. a round shield held by a grip and sometimes having straps through which the arm is passed.
2. any means of defense; protection.v.t.
3. to be a shield to; protect.
Past participle: bucklered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buckler - armor carried on the arm to intercept blows|