cabbage(redirected from Cabbages)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of several forms of a vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) of the mustard family, having a globose head consisting of a short stem and tightly overlapping green to purplish leaves.
2. Any of several similar or related plants, such as Chinese cabbage.
3. The terminal bud of several species of palm, eaten as a vegetable.
4. Slang Money, especially in the form of bills.
5. Informal Sweetheart; dear. Used as a term of endearment.
[Middle English caboche, from Old North French, head, possibly from alteration of Latin caput; see capital1.]
1. (Plants) Also called: cole any of various cultivated varieties of the plant Brassica oleracea capitata, typically having a short thick stalk and a large head of green or reddish edible leaves: family Brassicaceae (crucifers). See also brassica, savoy Compare skunk cabbage, Chinese cabbage
2. (Plants) wild cabbage a European plant, Brassica oleracea, with broad leaves and a long spike of yellow flowers: the plant from which the cabbages, cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussels sprout have been bred
a. the head of a cabbage
b. the edible leaf bud of the cabbage palm
4. informal a dull or unimaginative person
5. informal offensive a person who has no mental faculties and is dependent on others for his or her subsistence
[C14: from Norman French caboche head; perhaps related to Old French boce hump, bump, Latin caput head]
snippets of cloth appropriated by a tailor from a customer's material
to steal; pilfer
[C17: of uncertain origin; perhaps related to Old French cabas theft]
1. any of several cultivated varieties of a plant, Brassica oleracea capitata, of the mustard family, having a short stem and leaves formed into a compact, edible head.
2. the head or leaves of this plant, eaten cooked or raw.
3. Slang. money, esp. paper money.
[1350–1400; < dial. Old French (Picardy, Normandy) literally, head, noggin]
Past participle: cabbaged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cabbage - any of various types of cabbage |
cruciferous vegetable - a vegetable of the mustard family: especially mustard greens; various cabbages; broccoli; cauliflower; brussels sprouts
Chinese celery, celery cabbage, Chinese cabbage - elongated head of crisp celery-like stalks and light green leaves
head cabbage - any of several varieties of cabbage having a large compact globular head; may be steamed or boiled or stir-fried or used raw in coleslaw
|2.||cabbage - informal terms for money |
boodle, clams, dinero, gelt, kale, lettuce, lolly, lucre, moolah, pelf, shekels, simoleons, wampum, loot, dough, bread, sugar, scratch
money - the most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us"
|3.||cabbage - any of various cultivars of the genus Brassica oleracea grown for their edible leaves or flowers|
|Verb||1.||cabbage - make off with belongings of others |
steal - take without the owner's consent; "Someone stole my wallet on the train"; "This author stole entire paragraphs from my dissertation"
cabbage[ˈkæbɪdʒ] n → chou m
n → Kopfsalat m
n → Zentifolie f
cabbage white (butterfly)
n → Kohlweißling m
cabbage[ˈkæbɪdʒ] n → cavolo
a type of vegetable with edible (usually green) leaves. He bought a cabbage. kool مَلْفوف зелка repolho zelí, kapusta der Kohl kål λάχανοrepollo kapsas کلم kaali chouכרוב करमकल्ला, बंदगोभी kupus káposzta kol kál cavolo cappuccio キャベツ 양배추 kopūstas, kopūstai kāposti kobis koolkålkapusta کرم couve varză капуста kapusta zelje kupus kål, vitkål ผักจำพวกกะหล่ำปลี lâhana 捲心菜 капуста پھول گوبھی cải bắp 卷心菜
cabbage→ كُرُنْب zelí kål Kohl λάχανο col kaali chou kupus cavolo キャベツ 양배추 kool kål kapusta repolho белокочаннаня капуста kål กะหล่ำ lahana cải bắp 卷心菜
n. col, repollo.