cabochon(redirected from Cabochon Cut)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted gem.
2. A convex style of cutting gems.
In a highly polished, convex-cut, unfaceted style: a sapphire that was cut cabochon.
[French, from Old North French, augmentative of caboche, head; see cabbage.]
cabochon(ˈkæbəˌʃɒn; French kabɔʃɔ̃)
(Jewellery) a smooth domed gem, polished but unfaceted
[C16: from Old French, from Old Norman French caboche head; see cabbage1]
cab•o•chon(ˈkæb əˌʃɒn, -ˌʃɔ̃)
1. a gemstone, usu. round or oval, cut so as to have a domed surface that is polished but not faceted.
2. the style of cutting a stone so.adv.
3. in the form of a cabochon: a turquoise cut cabochon.adj.
4. cut in the form of a cabochon.
[1570–80; < Middle French, derivative of caboche head]