Cambrian(redirected from Cambrians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Cambrians: Cambrian Mountains
1. Of or relating to Wales; Welsh.
2. Of, relating to, or being the period of geologic time from about 542 to 488 million years ago, the oldest period of the Paleozoic Era. The Cambrian Period is characterized by desert land areas, warm seas, and rapid early diversification of marine life resulting in the rise of almost all modern animal phyla. See Table at geologic time.
1. A Welshman or Welshwoman.
2. The Cambrian Period.
[From Medieval Latin Cambria, Wales, alteration of Cumbria from Welsh Cymry. Adj., sense 2, and n., sense 2, after Cambria.]
1. (Geological Science) of, denoting, or formed in the first 65 million years of the Palaeozoic era, during which marine invertebrates, esp trilobites, flourished
2. of or relating to Wales
3. (Geological Science) the Cambrian the Cambrian period or rock system
4. a Welsh person
Cam•bri•an(ˈkæm bri ən)
1. noting or pertaining to a period of the Paleozoic Era, occurring from 570 million to 500 million years ago, when algae and marine invertebrates were the predominant form of life.
2. of or pertaining to Cambria; Welsh.n.
3. the Cambrian Period or System.
4. a native or inhabitant of Wales; Welshman or Welshwoman.
[1580–90; < Medieval Latin Cambri(a) Wales, Latinization of MWelsh Cymry Wales, literally Welshmen]
The first period of the Paleozoic Era, from about 540 to 505 million years ago, characterized by warm seas and desert land areas. During the Cambrian Period, animal life diversified rapidly and almost all modern animal phyla arose. See Chart at geologic time.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cambrian - from 544 million to about 500 million years ago; marine invertebrates|
|2.||Cambrian - a native or resident of Wales|
Cambria, Cymru, Wales - one of the four countries that make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; during Roman times the region was known as Cambria
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
|Adj.||1.||Cambrian - of or relating to or characteristic of Wales or its people or their language; "the Welsh coast"; "Welsh syntax"|