Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of southeast Mexico on the Bay of Campeche, a section of the Gulf of Mexico west of Yucatán. Founded in 1540, Campeche was frequently sacked by buccaneers in the 1600s.
1. (Placename) a state of SE Mexico, on the SW of the Yucatán peninsula: forestry and fishing. Capital: Campeche. Pop: 205 000 (2005 est). Area: 56 114 sq km (21 666 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a port in SE Mexico, capital of Campeche state. Pop: 195 000 (2000 est)
3. (Placename) Bay of Campeche Gulf of Campeche the SW part of the Gulf of Mexico
1. a state in SE Mexico, on the peninsula of Yucatán. 642,516; 19,672 sq. mi. (50,950 sq. km).
2. the capital of this state. 151,805.
3. Gulf of, the SW part of the Gulf of Mexico.