Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A native or inhabitant of Guangzhou (formerly Canton).
2. The variety of Chinese spoken in and around Guangzhou.
1. (Languages) the Chinese language spoken in the city of Canton, Guangdong and Guanxi provinces, Hong Kong, and elsewhere outside China
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the city of Canton or Guangdong province
3. (Placename) of or relating to the city of Canton, Guangdong province, or the Chinese language spoken there
4. (Peoples) of or relating to the city of Canton, Guangdong province, or the Chinese language spoken there
5. (Languages) of or relating to the city of Canton, Guangdong province, or the Chinese language spoken there
Can•ton•ese(ˌkæn tnˈiz, -ˈis)
n., pl. -ese,
1. a dialect of Chinese spoken in Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Macao.
2. a native or inhabitant of Guangzhou.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Guangzhou, its inhabitants, or their dialect.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cantonese - the dialect of Chinese spoken in Canton and neighboring provinces and in Hong Kong and elsewhere outside China|
Chinese - any of the Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in China; regarded as dialects of a single language (even though they are mutually unintelligible) because they share an ideographic writing system
adj → kantonesisch
→ Kantonese m, → Kantonesin f
(Ling) → Kantonesisch nt