Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the Caribbean Sea, its islands, or its Central or South American coasts or to the peoples or cultures of this region.
2. Of or relating to the Carib or their language or culture.
Caribbean(ˌkærɪˈbiːən; US kəˈrɪbɪən)
1. (Placename) of or relating to the Caribbean Sea and its islands
2. (Peoples) of or relating to the Carib or any of their languages
3. (Languages) of or relating to the Carib or any of their languages
4. (Placename) the Caribbean the states and islands of the Caribbean Sea, including the West Indies, when considered as a geopolitical region
5. (Placename) short for the Caribbean Sea
6. (Peoples) a member of any of the peoples inhabiting the islands of the Caribbean Sea, such as a West Indian or a Carib
Car•ib•be•an(ˌkær əˈbi ən, kəˈrɪb i-)
1. of or pertaining to the Caribbean Sea and the lands bordering it, esp. the islands of the Antilles and the peoples of these islands, or their cultures.n.
2. the, the islands and countries of the Caribbean Sea collectively.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Caribbean - an arm of the Atlantic Ocean between North and South America; the origin of the Gulf stream|
Caribbean Island - an island in the Caribbean Sea
|2.||Caribbean - region including the Caribbean Islands|
Antigua and Barbuda - a country in the northern Leeward Islands
the Indies, West Indies - the string of islands between North America and South America; a popular resort area
Haiti, Republic of Haiti - a republic in the West Indies on the western part of the island of Hispaniola; achieved independence from France in 1804; the poorest and most illiterate nation in the western hemisphere
Dominican Republic - a republic in the West Indies; located on the eastern two-thirds of the island of Hispaniola
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Porto Rico, Puerto Rico, PR - a self-governing commonwealth associated with the United States occupying the island of Puerto Rico
Jamaica - a country on the island of Jamaica; became independent of England in 1962; much poverty; the major industry is tourism
Barbados - a parliamentary democracy on the island of Barbados; former British colony; a popular resort area
Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago - an island republic in the West Indies off the northeastern coast of Venezuela; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1962
Bahama Islands, Bahamas, Commonwealth of the Bahamas - island country in the Atlantic to the east of Florida and Cuba; a popular winter resort
Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Christopher-Nevis, Saint Kitts and Nevis, St. Christopher-Nevis, St. Kitts and Nevis - a country on several of the Leeward Islands; located to the east southeast of Puerto Rico; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1983
Saint Lucia, St. Lucia - a country on the island of Saint Lucia; gained independence from Great Britain in 1979
caribiskDet Caribiske Hav
카리브 해카리브 해의
biển Caribbeanthuộc vùng biển Caribbean
[island] → des Caraïbes
[origin] → antillais(e)