Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Cartesian: cartesian product, Cartesian philosophy, Cartesian equation
Of or relating to the philosophy or methods of Descartes.
[French cartésien (from René Descartes) and New Latin Cartesiānus (from Cartesius, Latin form of Descartes).]
1. (Philosophy) of or relating to the works of René Descartes
2. (Mathematics) of, relating to, or used in Descartes' mathematical system: Cartesian coordinates.
3. (Philosophy) of, relating to, or derived from Descartes' philosophy, esp his contentions that personal identity consists in the continued existence of a unique mind and that the mind and body are connected causally. See also dualism2
(Philosophy) a follower of the teachings and methods of Descartes
1. pertaining to Descartes, his mathematical methods, or his philosophy.n.
2. a follower of Cartesian thought.
[1650–60; < New Latin]