Caucasian(redirected from Caucasian (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Of or relating to a racial group having light-colored skin; white.
b. Of or being a human racial classification distinguished especially by very light to brown skin and straight to wavy or curly hair, and including peoples indigenous to Europe, northern Africa, western Asia, and parts of South Asia. No longer in scientific use.
2. Of or relating to the Caucasus region or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
3. Of or relating to a group of three language families spoken in the region of the Caucasus mountains, including Chechen, Abkhaz, and the Kartvelian languages.
a. A person having light-colored skin; a white person.
b. A member of the Caucasian racial classification. No longer in scientific use.
2. A native or inhabitant of the Caucasus.
3. The Caucasian language family.
Caucasian(kɔːˈkeɪzɪən; -ʒən) or
1. (Peoples) old-fashioned another word for Caucasoid
2. (Placename) of or relating to the Caucasus
3. (Peoples) a White person; Caucasoid
4. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Caucasia
5. (Languages) any of three possibly related families of languages spoken in the Caucasus: North-West Caucasian, including Circassian and Abkhaz, North-East Caucasian, including Avar, and South Caucasian including Georgian
Usage: The word Caucasian is very widely used in the US to refer to people of European origin or people who are White, even though the original classification was broader than this
Cau•ca•sian(kɔˈkeɪ ʒən, -ʃən, -ˈkæʒ ən, -ˈkæʃ-)
adj. Also, Cau•cas•ic (kɔˈkæs ɪk, -ˈkæz-)
1. of, designating, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, marked by fair to dark skin, straight to curly hair, and light to very dark eyes and orig. inhabiting Europe, parts of North Africa, W Asia, and India.
2. of the Caucasus region, its peoples, or their culture.
3. of or designating the non-Indo-European, non-Turkic languages spoken by the indigenous peoples of the Caucasus and adjacent areas.n.
4. a person having Caucasian physical characteristics.
5. a native or inhabitant of the Caucasus.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Caucasian - a member of the Caucasoid race |
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
Aryan - (according to Nazi doctrine) a Caucasian person of Nordic descent (and not a Jew)
Circassian - a member of the Sunni Muslim people living in northwestern Caucasia
paleface - (slang) a derogatory term for a white person (supposedly used by North American Indians)
Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
Elamite - a member of an ancient warlike people living in Elam east of Babylonia as early as 3000 BC
white man - a man who is White
white woman - a woman who is White
|2.||Caucasian - a number of languages spoken in the Caucasus that are unrelated to languages spoken elsewhere|
natural language, tongue - a human written or spoken language used by a community; opposed to e.g. a computer language
Chechen - a northern Caucasian language spoken by the Chechen
Circassian - a northern Caucasian language spoken by the Circassian
Georgian - a southern Caucasian language with 3 million speakers and a long literary tradition
Ubykh - an extinct Caucasian language spoken exclusively in Turkey
|Adj.||1.||Caucasian - of or relating to the geographical region of Caucasia; "Caucasian languages"|
|2.||Caucasian - of or relating to Caucasian people|
white - of or belonging to a racial group having light skin coloration; "voting patterns within the white population"