luminance(redirected from Cd/m²)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The condition or quality of being luminous.
2. Physics The intensity of light per unit area of its source. Also called photometric brightness.
1. a state or quality of radiating or reflecting light
2. (General Physics) a measure (in candelas per square metre) of the brightness of a point on a surface that is radiating or reflecting light. It is the luminous intensity in a given direction of a small element of surface area divided by the orthogonal projection of this area onto a plane at right angles to the direction. Symbol: L
[C19: from Latin lūmen light]
lu•mi•nance(ˈlu mə nəns)
1. the state or quality of being luminous.
2. the quality or condition of radiating or reflecting light: the blinding luminance of the sun.
3. the quantitative measure of brightness of a light source or an illuminated surface, equal to luminous flux per unit solid angle emitted per unit projected area of the source or surface.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||luminance - the quality of being luminous; emitting or reflecting light; "its luminosity is measured relative to that of our sun"|
physical property - any property used to characterize matter and energy and their interactions
incandescence - light from heat