abaca(redirected from Cebu hemp)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
ab·a·caalso ab·a·cá (ăb′ə-kä′, ä′bə-)
1. A bananalike plant (Musa textilis) native to the Philippines and having broad leaves with long stalks.
2. The fibers obtained from the stalks of this plant, used to make cordage, fabric, and paper. Also called manila, Manila hemp.
[Spanish abacá, from Tagalog abaka.]
1. (Plants) a Philippine plant, Musa textilis, related to the banana: family Musaceae. Its leafstalks are the source of Manila hemp
2. (Plants) another name for Manila hemp
[via Spanish from Tagalog abaká]
a•ba•ca(ˌæb əˈkɑ, ˌɑ bə-)
n., pl. -cas.
1. a Philippine plant, Musa textilis, of the banana family.
2. Also called Manila hemp. Its fiber is used for rope, fabrics, etc.
[1810–20; < Sp < Tagalog abaká]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||abaca - a kind of hemp obtained from the abaca plant in the Philippines|
hemp - a plant fiber
|2.||abaca - Philippine banana tree having leafstalks that yield Manila hemp used for rope and paper etc|